The purpose of preventive orthodontics is to prevent further worsening of your child’s problem and to improve their teeth position so that the jaw grows in its proper position.
The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that a child should be seen for their first orthodontic evaluation at the age of 6. Indeed, some children can greatly benefit from early treatment while other children can wait for all their adult teeth to come through.
Varsik Hakopian will be able to decide the appropriate time for starting treatment and will also determine whether preventive orthodontics may be appropriate for your child.
Signs your child could benefit from early treatment :
- Early milk teeth loss
- Significant overlapping of the teeth
- Teeth positioned too far forward
- Abnormal jaw growth
Benefits of preventive orthodontics :
- Corrects tooth crowding, creating more space for permanent teeth
- Reduces the likelihood of impacted teeth (teeth that remain stuck in the bone)
- Reduces the likelihood of tooth extraction as part of a conventional orthodontic treatment in adolescence or adulthood
- Corrects and guides jaw growth
- Reduces the risk of injury in case of falls (upper incisors fracture when positioned too far forward relative to the lower jaw)
- Eliminates bad habits (thumb sucking, mouth breathing, etc.)
- Improves the child’s self-esteem
- Prevents teasing